A Night Better Than a Thousand Months
April 29, 2021
“Indeed, We sent the Quran down during the Night of Decree. And what can make you know what is the Night of Decree?The Night of Decree is better than a thousand months. The angels and the Spirit descend therein by permission of their Lord for every matter. Peace it is until the emergence of dawn.”(Surah Al-Qadr)
Laylatul Qadr, also known as the ‘Night of Decree’ or the ‘Night of Power’ is one of the most holy and spiritually significant times of the year for Muslims. It is when the Holy Quran was completed and it is also when the reward for worship and good deeds are multiplied.
Whilst the exact night is not made explicit, it is said to be one of the odd nights in the last ten days.
The Prophet Muhammad ﷺ said, “Search for Laylatul-Qadr in the odd nights of the last ten nights of Ramadan.” (Sahih Bukhari)
There is great wisdom in the actual night not being revealed…it encourages us to seek it in all the last ten days and to do more good, worship with the aim of attaining the pleasure and mercy of our Creator and it entices us to give more charity on each night!
Your Laylatul Qadr ‘to-do list’:
Make the most out of your last ten days by being organised and knowing what you want to attain…
- Eat light and make sure you are well rested after iftar so you can stay up and worship effectively.
- Put your phone out of reach so you are not tempted to stay on it.
- Vary your worship throughout the night – pray, do dhikr and read Quran etc. so you do not tire yourself out.
- Do a little physical activity every 45 minutes. Set a timer on your phone and stretch or walk around to keep yourself alert.
- Set up an automated giving system for charitable giving. This takes the stress out of you having to make donations via multiple websites etc. and it will happen every night as per your wishes.